Floods have affected 75% of Queensland and many parts of NSW. People have perished and many are feared drowned. There is a huge impact on thousands of people whose homes have been flooded, whose businesses have been seriously affected. It will take a long time to rebuild and start again. Your WD&R committee would like to give the churches the ability to respond in a God glorifying way.
At present we are exploring ways of doing that. Here are some options open to us.
1. We could support the Presbyterian Church Flood Appeal They are involved as Rev John Westendorp brought the following link to our attention: http://www.YouTube.com/watch?v=EuGXuo32w1E. As you can see there, they are wanting to minister in their community to make a Gospel difference.
2. We could be channeling support through deacons from eg Toowoomba, Inala, Westside and Tivoli congregations. These congregations are situated in areas where there has been a lot of flood damage.The other Queensland churches may also know of ways that assistance can be given. We will be communicating with the Brisbane churches about this. We will try to be good stewards of funds that are donated. While we are not certain how the money will be used, please be assured that we will continues to investigate how to achieve the best result according to the mandate Synod has given us.
We are calling on our churches to pray to the Lord ...
- for mercy for the people affected.
- for the communities as they clean up and pick up their lives after the floods.
- that God would use believers to witness to the love and mercy of God.